Sudden enlightenment or gradual enlightenment?

Hi my friends,

You did not see me for a while! I hope no one missed me, though my mission is not over!!

I have been reading about Zen history recently, and currently I am in the middle of it, I have never done a systematic study of what Ch'an or Zen presents, although I knew 'that's it' by the little bits and ends I came across here and there. One reason for this is in my own practice, reading was taboo! It was seeing for yourself! Although I was a fervent reader in my teens, ever since I took to my practice, reading stopped.
                                             


                                           
                                       




After my penetration, I have not been reading any thing serious, apart from some news papers and magazines, but that is not any serious reading.

The Dhamma or Universal Message comes to me at times of deep contemplation of nature, the only precious gem an enlightened man possesses, his liberation. I can write few pages mentioning different aspects of Dhamma at a moment like this, and it was some such writings that I published on this blog so far.

Reading through the Cha'n history I am struck by some resemblances to my own writings; now I mentioned 'climbing up the mountain' and 'jumping off the cliff'. I see ideas going very close to this in that literature, for example the Northern and Southern Cha'n conflict, north saying enlightenment can be a gradual process while south saying it is spontaneous.

My friends, the climbing up the mountain part I added, because I could not figure out a way to make many feel comfortable in their standing as non-enlightened, if I say 'you are helpless, there is no way you can get to it unless you make the jump', that will leave a great number of people irrelevant to this subject. This is a dilemma, though I have to agree 'climbing up the mountain' goes quite close to a 'sham' compared to real enlightenment. Its a cover up to make yourself feel complacent of your standing, chances are you will never get to the top, even if you get to the top, you will start roaming around on it and if you do not make the jump, what use is it of?

Anyway a teacher has to cater to all. And there is nothing like every one in the world is going to get enlightened. Only very few will get to the wordless realm, only a handful among millions. But still an enlightened man can have something to do for others - other than duping others for his own gain, as per my impression of what some of those have done after enlightenment according to some stories - and others can have something to get from a man on the other side. Let us follow this discussion and if you are someone interested, please always feel free to join in the conversation..

Thanks my friends,

Cham




Comments